Saturday, December 20, 2008

Started installing some parts.




Pictures:

Here is the front main seal and oil pump installed.

The crankshaft installed with new bearings and thrust washers. This was pretty easy.

Exhaust manifold and cover with the Rusty Stuff Primer, they were pretty bad, like normal exhaust I suppose.

I cleaned the throttle body, and will probably paint it soon. It was very messy, and I hope I don't have to replace the injector.

This is the primitive throttle position sensor. It can detect three positions.
I painted the exhaust manifold with some Rusty Stuff Primer today, and started installing things: Crankshaft, oil pump and front oil seal. Then I cleaned the throttle body real well.

Make sure you torque everything down to specs. I went ahead and replaced the crankshaft bearings and the thrust washers. They were all worn out enough to replace, but thankfully I didn't need to go to the oversized. It was pretty easy to install the crankshaft.

When I went to install the oil pump, it came with a kit and had the seal preinstalled. Since I didn't have the official patented "Seal Installer" piece of poly tube, here is what I did: Placed the thing in a bit crooked, so one piece of the seal lip is just barely hanging on. Then, using the handle end of a spoon (something not pointy, and without sharp edges) I went around the edge of the lip, while gently pushing down on the assembly. This works great, but you have to have patience and don't press too hard.

When you install the seal, if you mess up to need to remove it (I forgot the gasket!), make sure the spring is back on the seal. Mine fell off onto the crankshaft, and I almost didn't notice it.

The throttle body had so much oil on it, I wonder if the injectors need replacing. I hope not, since the screws holding the injector in are impossible to remove. If I have to replace the injector, I will upgrade to something newer.

Notice the "throttle position sensor"? It is a primitive type which sense only three positions of the pedal: Foot off, foot on, and pedal to the metal. You can adjust where the last one picks up, but it is really rather primitive, and I wonder if I can change it out with something better...

Okay, until next time, stay classy, World!

0 comments: